Auto Accident Victims Need Immediate Legal Help
Have you been injured in an automobile accident in Atlanta? The things that you do immediately after an accident occurs can affect your compensation claim.
If you have been in an accident you should:
- Call the police and report the accident. Request medical support for the accident scene.
- If possible, do not move the vehicles from the accident area. Do not leave the scene of the accident at all.
- Request medical care at the scene of the accident.
- Once your health has been stabilized, request personal information from the other driver, including their insurance information.
- Take the names and phone numbers of anyone that was at the scene and saw the accident happen.
- Write down the weather conditions at the time of the accident.
- Take pictures of the damaged vehicles, any skid marks on the road, and any other notable things that may have caused the accident, such as a road hazard.
- Do not give your statement to anyone at the accident scene outside of the police.
- Do not sign any written statement or provide an oral statement to anyone outside of the police report.
- When you leave the scene, contact an attorney. Do not speak with the insurance company before you speak with your lawyer.
Georgia provides people injured in an auto accident specific rights to compensation. An Atlanta personal injury attorney will be able to help you determine what rights apply to your case, and what form of compensation you are entitled.
When you have been injured in an auto accident, you may qualify for compensation for:
- Medical bills related to the injury, both current and future.
- Repairs for your vehicle using standard manufacturer parts.
- Replacement of your vehicle if it is totaled.
- Rental transportation.
- Loss of wages, both current and future.
- Pain and suffering from the incident.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
If you receive a permanent disability from the accident, or if your loved one has lost their life due to the event, there are separate claims for compensation that can be field on your behalf. Your attorney will carefully review your case, including your medical treatment, and make sure that you are compensated.
An injury sustained in an accident can change everything in your life. You may need extended medical care, and you may suffer financial distress during your recovery time. It is the obligation of the insurance company of the negligent party to ease this burden.
Many people in Atlanta fail to call an attorney about an accident until it is too late. You should seek the advice of a lawyer as soon after an accident as your health will allow. This will prevent insurance adjustors from trying to get away with minimal compensation, which could damage your recovery and your overall health.