Understanding Your Rights With Vehicle Accidents
Each year, vehicular accidents are the leading cause of personal injury in Georgia. While the Highway Safety Commission has reported that accidents due to intoxicated driving has dropped, accidents due to negligence continues to rise.
Vehicle accidents can include accidents that involve:
- Tractor Trailer/Semi Trucks
- Commercial Vehicles
- Public Transportation Vehicles
- Recreational Vehicles (RV’s)
- Four Wheelers
Negligence occurs when the action of a person or other entity fails to act with caution. This can either be from an action that they took, or a failure to act.
Vehicular accidents can occur for many reasons, including but not limited to:
- Distracted driving
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Failure to yield
- Lack of understanding how the vehicle operates
- Carelessness or reckless driving
- Mechanical failure (Driving vehicle that is known to be a hazard)
There are many other conditions that may apply to negligent vehicle usage.
Every case that enters into an Atlanta personal injury attorney’s office is unique. Each person will have suffered a different type of event; each person will have suffered different injuries. A professional injury attorney will look at each case, and all of the circumstances, and help the injured party claim their rightful compensation.
When you have been injured in a vehicular accident, you have rights to fair and complete compensation. The law states that the offending party, or their insurer, must “make right” the damages that the victimized party has endured. Compensation claims may include:
- Medical expenses, both current and future that relate to the accident
- Vehicle repairs or replacement
- Rental vehicles until the vehicle has been replaced
- Damages for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost wages
- Future loss of wages if the injured party has become disabled
- Employment training if the victim cannot return to their work
Your attorney will determine, based on case facts, if there is any additional compensation due.
If your loved one lost their life due to a vehicular accident, you may be entitled to further compensation from the offending party. Your attorney can help determine if you have a cause of action to file a wrongful death suit against the insurance company.
Vehicular accidents are devastating to all that are involved. Injuries can be minor, but long-lasting, cause permanent disability, or even take someone’s life. When you are injured in this manner, there are many things at stake besides your health. Most injured parties are unable to work during their recovery, placing a financial burden on themselves and their loved ones.
If you have been injured in an accident, first seek medical attention, and then seek legal advice. You are entitled to be compensated for the injuries you received due to the negligence of another driver in Atlanta.